Monday 1 November 2010

Winter Blues...

Manchester University is a fashion battleground and hopefully I'm winning.
I'm writing this looking out the window of the library.... I've been here since the sun was high in the sky but now it looks too dark and too cold to leave the cosy warmth of John Rylands’ gentle touch. Third year has been an absolute wake up call. Ridiculous amount of work piled on top of ridiculous amount of work... And whilst my soul starts to fall to pieces I'm determined not to let my fashion sense.

While I have been guilty of donning the pyjamas and ugg boots look to sainsbury's in first year, now I am 22; I feel it my duty, NAY, my RESPONSIBILITY, to dress like my degree depended on it. (Luckily for me and for my off days it doesn't and by the looks of my latest politics lecture lucky for the others as well... I jest! honest!)

But as the winter chill really sets into Manchester you might be finding it tough to look as pretty as you did in the summer months just gone. It seems like just yesterday I was prancing about in an array of maxi dresses and wedge sandals.
So here's my insider tip... Layering... Ok, so that wasn’t that much of an insider tip... So more specifically, Uni Qlo layering. Uni Qlo is possibly my favourite store and my big insider secret for staying warm. Unfortunately there are no stores north of Watford Junction but they do have an online store. Everytime I head down south I make sure I pick up a new treasure from their stores. For me Uni Qlo represents what I truly love about fashion... Just one look at the mannequins in the store and you’ll realise that sometimes basics are all you need... And for their price they are bloody good value and bloody good quality!
They stock this amazing range of products called "Heat-Tech"... From vests to t-shirts, even boxers for boys, these cheeky pieces of fabric keep you warm by retaining body heat... Forget unsightly long johns, these bad boys are pretty fashionable too and I SWEAR by them...

Today I'm wearing a
cream scoop neck long sleeved t-shirt with a grey ¾ length sleeve long top over it... Sounds basic but throw on a big chunky necklace and it’s transformed!... Along with that I’m wearing two pairs of leggings, one from Uni Qlo, a snatch at £6.99! And a cable knit pair on top from John Lewis. If you’re thinking grey and dreary, a bright coat sets off the whole outfit... I grabbed a yellow military style jacket in the Karen Millen sale for £100 off. Top it all off, biker boots from Allders.

But I can’t talk about Uni Qlo without mentioning their new range of trouser-leggings. They’re more jeans than jeggings... but more leggings than jeans... That medium I have been craving ever since jeggings were released. My non-existent bum looks plump and they cling in all the right places just like a good pair of jeans should. And the best bit?
They are only £19.99!



It’s easy to resort to Ugg boots and pyjama bottoms but resist the urge and stay fabulous! Clever layering can ensure you stay fashionable through the Manchester winter but most importantly warm... I have even brought along my amazing silver mac from Tommy Hilfiger for when the inevitable rain starts to pour... bring on winter Manchester! I’m ready!

Now wearing: Uni Qlo grey long t shirt, thick grey woollen cable knit tights, biker boots, yellow Karen Millen military coat.

Now playing:
Florence + the Machine – You’ve got the love

Now coveting: ASOS leopard print boots – just out of stock!

Post written by Melanie Astbury londongirlupnorth

Want to get involved? Email us at uomfashion@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment